Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-smime-escertid-00.txt

2006-04-02 09:28:45
My comment was related to the syntax.

Another option would be not to use a fixed default but rather make the
hashAlgoritm OPTIONAL and say that it is the same as used in
to create the signature around (or SHA1 if the hash length is less than 224 bits)

If one still use the same attribute: the implementations that understand
sha256- in a signature and use ESSCertID would be hit.

But as P.G. said, if one uses another attribute...

Peter Gutmann wrote:
Peter Sylvester <Peter(_dot_)Sylvester(_at_)edelweb(_dot_)fr> writes:

ESSCertIDv2 ::= SEQUENCE {
   certHash         Hash,
   issuerSerial     IssuerSerial OPTIONAL,
   hashAlgorithm    [0] AlgorithmIdentifier DEFAULT { { algorithm sha-1,
parameters NULL} }

It'd be easier to just go with Russ' suggestion of:

ESSCertIDv2 ::= SEQUENCE {
    hashAlgorithm    AlgorithmIdentifier DEFAULT { { algorithm sha-1,
parameters NULL} }
    certHash         Hash,
    issuerSerial     IssuerSerial OPTIONAL
    }

See my earlier message on why this won't present any backwards-compatibility
problems with the original ESSCertID.

Peter.

--
To verify the signature, see http://edelpki.edelweb.fr/ Cela vous permet de charger le certificat de l'autorité; die Liste mit zurückgerufenen Zertifikaten finden Sie da auch.