RE: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-smime-escertid-00.txt

2006-04-05 19:02:18

Denis,

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-ietf-smime(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org
[mailto:owner-ietf-smime(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Denis
Pinkas
Sent: Wednesday, April 05, 2006 6:32 AM
To: ietf-smime(_at_)imc(_dot_)org; Jim Schaad
Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-smime-escertid-00.txt

Jim,

After more thoughs and exchange of arguments I am inclined to
accept your position.

I believe that the rule should be:
if SHA-1 is used, then ESSCertID MUST be used.

I would totally agree with this wording.

So, it would make sense to have SHA-256 as the default
algorithm for the new structure.

In this thread, some people advocated implicit signaling of
the algorithm.
It made me think that we should provide some additional
guidance for implementors. For example, if SHA-256 with RSA
is the signature algorithm, then it would make sense, *not*
to use ESSCerID :-) but rather to use the new structure with SHA-256.

Now, the case where SHA-1 with RSA is the signature algorithm
is more complicated. ESSCertID should be used. Should we, in
addition, recommend to use the new structure with SHA-256 ?
It would not hurt, but in case
SHA-1 is broken, does it really provide additional security ?
I leave the floor open to cryptographers.

Finally, I have a minor naming problem: what is it called
ESSCertIDEx and not ESSCertIDv2 ? What means "Ex" ?!?

I have no problems with this change in the name of the structure.  The use
of Ex shows the time that I used to work at Microsoft, Ex stands for
Extended and was applied to system API calls.

Jim

I would rather prefer ESSCertIDv2 which is more meaningful
without any explanation.

Denis

Denis,

I am well aware that the issue was debated on the PKIX mailing list,
and I ignored it because it was not of immediate importance
to me at the time.

I am not sure that I agree that the PKIX proposal is really
backwards
compatable.  What can be said is that if you use it in a specific
manner then it produces the same bits on the wire, however consider
what the reality of things is.

In the S/MIME world the new structure is identified by a new
OID, thus
an old client would see that there is an attribute that it
does not understand.
This means that the new structure is really backwards
compatable, if an
old client gets a message from a new client the item is
ignored and the
old client can successfully process the message.  Likewise if an old
client sends a message and includes this attribute the new client
should still understand and process the extension correctly.  (This
would also be true with the timestamp protocol in RFC 3161.)

Now lets look at what happens with this in RFC 3029 if you simply
replace ESSCertID with your proposed ESSCertIDEx.  If an old client
sends a message to the new client, it works since the new
client can correctly decode it.
If a new client sends a message to an old client, it MUST
use the SHA-1
hash algorithm as any other would cause the old client to
have a decode
algorithm.  But it is not clear that the new client can recognize in
advance that it is dealing with an old client so it would ALWAYS use
SHA-1 just in case.  TO me this means that you might as well
not change the protocol.
(Side note - there is not versioning in the low level
structures that I
could see.  If you update the version number then there is
no problem
with changing the structure itself.

There is some logic to the argument that was put forward by
Peter that
having the same effective structure would allow for writing
of a single
decode/encode routine and thus potentially save code space.

I personally think that we should be moving out of SHA-1 and
onto SHA-2
in the standards as quickly as possible.  If I belive this
then I need
to take the position that either 1) size is not an issue or
2) the defaults should
be the algorithms that we think should be used in the
immediate future.   I
am a strong supporter of option 2.

I will look at your suggested re-write as part of the up-coming
revision of the document.

jim