RE: draft-stapleton-ttned-01 : Trusted Transactions for Network Enabled Devices

2007-03-19 02:19:18
Jeff,

Some comments (without the WG chair hat on):

1. There's about 20 pages of unexplained ASN.1 in Annex A.

2. 2119 language is not used in the draft.  You need to capitalize MUSTs
etc.  Additionally, language like "typically, the certificates and crls
components of type SignedData are not present" is not used it's usually
"Certificate and crls are OPTIONAL."  I actually think this will result in a
substantial rewrite.

3. In Section 2.2: Indicate that either encrypted or identity must be
present in Trailer.

4. In Section 3.4: Domain has all the same choices as GeneralName (from
RFC3280) why not use that syntax?  Well okay so you added
univeralUniqueIdentifier .. why isn't that an otherName?

5. In Section 5.1:
 - 5.a Need to indicate whether or not unprotectedAttrs are supported.
 - 5.b What is the content type(s) that goes in encapContentInfo?  I think
you need to define the transaction types as a content type or say you're
using one that is already defined.
 - 5.c OriginatorInfo is not the same as that in CMS, how is this going to
work?
 - 5.d What if somebody wants to use kari?
 - 5.e What are the algorithms that are required to be supported?

6. In Section 5.2:
 - 6.a You prohibit signed and unsigned attributes but CMS requires some
(e.g., message-digest, content-type).  Seems like this would cause a generic
CMS implementation issues because of these required attributes.
 - 6.b What is the content type(s) that goes in encapContentInfo?  I think
you need to define the transaction types as a content type or say you're
using one that is already defined.
 - 6.c What are the algorithms that are required to be supported?
 - 6.d I think you have to explain the signature process/digest process: is
it just over the header, body, etc.?

7. In Section 5.3: I would probably add "in some scenarios/environments" to
the end of the 1st sentence in 5.3.  If I had a secure network with a trust
time source and used a signing-time attribute it may be good for the lawyers
;)

8. In Annex B: Why is VisableString used instead of UTF8 or other types more
similar to RFC3280?   (hate to characterize it this way but isn't
VisableString one of the more obscure choices?)  Many of the name types
(e.g., URI) are already defined in 3280 and the string types don't match.
Why won't this cause a problem?

These are just the ones that popped off the top of my head during a quick
scan of the draft.

spt

  _____