RE: S/MIME v3.2 IDs key size text

2008-05-02 16:02:47

At 3:17 PM -0700 5/2/08, Luther Martin wrote:
 > >(The "or shorter" attached to the "1024" is also going to prove
 problematic
 >with FIPS-evaluated crypto implementations, since you can't do < 1024
 bits for
 >those).

 That's just plain wrong. Nothing in the FIPS evaluation says that you
 cannot verify signatures shorter than what they require.

I'm not sure that's accurate. A FIPS security policy is fairly clear about exactly what keys and key sizes you can use in FIPS mode, and I'm fairly sure that this stops you from using smaller keys in FIPS mode, even to verify a signature.

That's quite different than what I said. In FIPS mode, you may need to only validate FIPS-mandated signatures (there is even some disagreement about this). However, a FIPS-evaluated system can also validate non-FIPS-mandated signatures, just not in FIPS mode (maybe).