Re: consisten use of top-level oid branch name joint-iso-itu-t(2)

2008-12-22 11:01:38
Alfred,

The synonyms were introduced some time ago, and, indeed, the names are non-normative, and may not even be unambiguous. Only the numbers matter in an OID in an encoding.

However, the recent introduction of Unicode labels, as normative and unambigous names gives a new naming scheme to the (same) OID tree that enables names (Unicode labels) to be used in machine communication if desired. The ASN.1 type is called OID_IRI and provides for node identification using Unicode labels. Unicode labels with names similar to the old ASCII names have been assigned for many of the top-level arcs, and more will be added over time.

The OID_IRI type is related to (but not dependent on) the application for an "oid" IRI scheme, but for consistency this is desired. See I-D draft-larmouth-oid-iri-00.

John L

Alfred � wrote:

Folks / to whom it concerns,

during recent reviews of active I-Ds containing ASN.1 related
to the X.500 framework, I found that a couple of these do not
consistently employ the revised name of the top-level OID branch

   joint-iso-itu-t(2) ,

but instead use the outdated/legacy name

   joint-iso-ccitt(2) .

Some drafts use a mix of both names.

I suggest that the modern version  joint-iso-itu-t(2)  be used
consistently within all new drafts / draft versions, unless
intentionally and explicitely for historical evidence reference
has to be made to the old name.

Kind regards,
 Alfred.

--