Re: [smime] [pkix] Research question: Witnessing by digital signature

2010-06-17 00:14:43
On Thu, 2010-06-17 at 16:53 +1200, Peter Gutmann wrote:
How would one "witness" a digital signature?  To witness a physical signature
means that one has personal knowledge that the signer intentionally signed
the
document.  Simply adding a digital signature to a document bearing someone
else's digital signature is not witnessing in this sense.

  "When I use a word it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more
   nor less"
   -- Humpty Dumpty (and PKI).

And what is it chosen to mean?  Maybe I can propose a better term for
the concept.

--
Matt