Re: [smime] S/MIME publishing mailing list

2015-01-24 10:20:44
On Jan 23, 2015, at 5:35 PM, Peter Gutmann
<pgut001(_at_)cs(_dot_)auckland(_dot_)ac(_dot_)nz> wrote:

Russ Housley <housley(_at_)vigilsec(_dot_)com> writes:

We need to make it easier to get certificates, and then we need to make it
easier for others to find those certificates.  I'm willing to work on both of
these.

What about Ian Grigg's GETSMIME proposal from many years ago?  It doesn't
really get any simpler than that, and it's something that anyone (up to and
including my cat, if she figures out email) can use:

https://financialcryptography.com/mt/archives/000966.html

An understood Subject: is fine, so is a new header that is triggered by a UI
element.

The problem is getting the MUAs to care enough about S/MIME to add code that
would automatically respond to that message. MUA interest is zero, if not
negative.

--Paul Hoffman