Re: [smime] S/MIME publishing mailing list

2015-01-25 07:10:58
Hi Russ,

Not sure what the problem is other than end users
largely don't seem interested unless required.

My cert is attached if anyone wants to switch to
S/MIME.  You can set up the list to require certs
to post.  That would be an interesting step to take.
I'm using Thunderbird which offers great support.
Outlook's pretty good as well.  Several of the CAs
have long offered S/MIME optimized certs.

By the way, that funky CPOP/CMTP spec from
LegalBox is still floating around ITU-T.  It didn't
get enough support to get adopted.  It's prospects
at this point are uncertain.

-t

On 2015-01-25 3:23 AM, Russ Housley wrote:
Michael:

The really sad fact is that e.g. Mozilla's S/MIME support was much better in
Netscape Communicator in 1998. Back then you could simply retrieve the e-mail
cert via LDAP. Anyone remember signed attribute 'userSMIMECertificate' which
the user could create and send himself?
When the S/MIME specifications were developed, LDAP was expected to be the main
way that certificates get distributed.  That part just never happened....