Re: [smime] S/MIME publishing mailing list

2015-01-24 02:55:08
Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 3:36 PM, Michael Ströder
<michael(_at_)stroeder(_dot_)com>
wrote:

Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
At the moment all messages go over HTTP. I see no advantage to using SMTP
for the purpose of managing certs and private keys. I am not aware of any
modern Internet device that is not capable of doing HTTP. Why make things
hard?

Call me old-fashioned. But still 100% of my sent and received e-mail
messages
are transported over SMTP (on some connections even using STARTTLS).
Trading
HTTP over SMTP does not gain anything.

It gains a great deal of speed and removes many sources of instability and
unreliability. Rather than being limited to a single request/response it is
easy to make additional requests if warranted.

The SMTP email infrastructure is horrible to work with.

As said I don't want to wait another 20 years before encrypting e-mails with a
new shiny HTTP-based infrastructure.

There are corner cases everywhere and a large number of servers have idiot
ideas about mangling messages.

I'm pretty sure that it would take many years before all implementation issues
in corner cases are sorted out when switching to HTTP.

The objective is to distribute certs though, that is a problem HTTP is
already designed to support and SMTP is not.

???

All the S/MIME enabled MUAs take the S/MIME cert from a signed e-mail
including the S/MIME capabilities. And yes, I know how to distribute certs via
HTTP and that could be a second option.

Ciao, Michael.