Re: [smime] S/MIME publishing mailing list

2015-01-23 17:00:11
On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 3:36 PM, Michael Ströder
<michael(_at_)stroeder(_dot_)com>
wrote:

Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
At the moment all messages go over HTTP. I see no advantage to using SMTP
for the purpose of managing certs and private keys. I am not aware of any
modern Internet device that is not capable of doing HTTP. Why make things
hard?

Call me old-fashioned. But still 100% of my sent and received e-mail
messages
are transported over SMTP (on some connections even using STARTTLS).
Trading
HTTP over SMTP does not gain anything.

It gains a great deal of speed and removes many sources of instability and
unreliability. Rather than being limited to a single request/response it is
easy to make additional requests if warranted.

The SMTP email infrastructure is horrible to work with. There are corner
cases everywhere and a large number of servers have idiot ideas about
mangling messages.

While there may be whatever genious solution available in the future I'm
aiming to use S/MIME via SMTP with all its current drawbacks, because
that's
what's widely implemented *now*.

The objective is to distribute certs though, that is a problem HTTP is
already designed to support and SMTP is not.