Re: [smime] S/MIME publishing mailing list

2015-01-23 11:32:24
Russ Housley wrote:

The IETF Enroll WG was chartered to solve this problem, but it folded
before doing so.

http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/enroll/charter/

We could get the ietf-enroll mail list reactivated if there is interest.

I think I have to clarify:

My suggestion was not about cert enrollment. I also don't want to invent a
new
mechanism. I just thought of a very *simple* S/MIME cert publication tool in
form of a mass subscriber mailing list. *Existing* standard MUAs could
immediately leverage importing S/MIME certs from signed messages sent to the
list.

Even though the ietf-enroll charter sounds interesting it does not seem
appropriate to reactivate the mailing list for the purpose I described.

We need to make it easier to get certificates, and then we need to make it
easier for others to find those certificates.

Yes. But it's not a hard requirement that we have to proceed in exactly this
order.

I'm willing to work on both of these.

So there are already two of us. :-)

Ciao, Michael.