Re: [smime] S/MIME publishing mailing list

2015-01-23 14:37:22
Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
At the moment all messages go over HTTP. I see no advantage to using SMTP
for the purpose of managing certs and private keys. I am not aware of any
modern Internet device that is not capable of doing HTTP. Why make things
hard?

Call me old-fashioned. But still 100% of my sent and received e-mail messages
are transported over SMTP (on some connections even using STARTTLS). Trading
HTTP over SMTP does not gain anything.

While there may be whatever genious solution available in the future I'm
aiming to use S/MIME via SMTP with all its current drawbacks, because that's
what's widely implemented *now*.

I don't want to wait for yet another standard to be invented, reviewed, widely
implemented, discredited and abandoned in the next 20 years.

Folks are now using JSON instead of XML instead of ASN.1 (see the fatiguing
JSON-vs.-ASN.1 discussion, formerly seen as the fatiguing XML-vs.-ASN.1
debates). But the basic problems are still not solved not to speak of lack of
availability of mature implementations. :-(

Fail.

Ciao, Michael.