Re: [smime] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC2633 (5019)

2017-05-15 04:23:26
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5751 says:
   id-aa-encrypKeyPref OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= {id-aa 11}
   SMIMEEncryptionKeyPreference ::= CHOICE {
      issuerAndSerialNumber   [0] IssuerAndSerialNumber,
      receipentKeyId          [1] RecipientKeyIdentifier,
      subjectAltKeyIdentifier [2] SubjectKeyIdentifier
   }

   -- receipentKeyId is spelt incorrectly, but kept for historical
   -- reasons.

I'm trying to ask for a similar note.
Responding with reject and not suggesting a way forward is insulting.

Instead of responding "reject". Someone could have checked the related
documents and suggested that this would have been the correct way to
address my concern.
No one did that.
No one really suggested that a fix would need to be applied to multiple
RFCs or whatever the correct approach would be.

As Peter notes, and I'm paraphrasing, just because a section isn't examined
doesn't mean it's correct. I'd argue that given that this general section
indeed has other typos, it's likely that it's in fact a dark corner with
less review.

Picking between editorial and technical is fairly hard. I generally send
both kinds of feedback and this is clearly near the edge. It isn't a comma
or similar. Changing the spelling would as noted by someone here
potentially break clients that consume human readable formats.

The reason I sent this feedback in the first place is that I was searching
for spelling errors in a derived product and identified this one. No one
rejected it as "not a spelling error", they didn't try to defend it as "a
proper abbreviation". The only concern that was raised was that it would be
an API change and impact interoperability. At which point I realized that
it was probably from the RFC and came here to raise the issue.

The errata tool forces over to choose between technical and editorial.
Given that had I made the downstream change it would have technically
broken clients if the tool I was using, technical felt like the right
choice.

A call-out is needed to tell implementers "this is misspelled in the source
and if you use the correct spelling, you will break something". Whether
that be done using shorthand "[sic]" or longhand as in the later RFC quoted
above is immaterial to me.

As for who has seen this error, I think I run into it every 5 or so years
when I run a similar tool against​a different system (historically this
would have been Mozilla mail or NSS).

If you need to consult with the RFC editor for the correct way forward,
then you should do that. Just as Peter took the effort to consult the
original author.

When I attended W3C meetings, an IETF representative would occasionally
come and try to encourage people to participate in IETF. This is not how
one encourages participation.