Re: [smime] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC2633 (5019)

2017-05-17 09:28:27

On May 15, 2017, at 05:19, Josh Soref <jsoref(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5751 says:
   id-aa-encrypKeyPref OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= {id-aa 11}
   SMIMEEncryptionKeyPreference ::= CHOICE {
      issuerAndSerialNumber   [0] IssuerAndSerialNumber,
      receipentKeyId          [1] RecipientKeyIdentifier,
      subjectAltKeyIdentifier [2] SubjectKeyIdentifier
   }

   -- receipentKeyId is spelt incorrectly, but kept for historical
   -- reasons.

I'm trying to ask for a similar note.
Responding with reject and not suggesting a way forward is insulting.

I look at it this way:

0) There are three options for an errata:
- Approve
- Reject
- Hold For Document Update (HFDU)

The mailing list participants are copied on these errata to get their opinion
in order to inform the AD how to dispose of the errata.  Most folks are just
making their opinions known.

1) The next thing that folks look at is whether it’s technical or not.  Debate
ensues, but generally technical errata are those that affect interoperability.
This one I don’t think does because there are no changes to the bits on the
wire.

2) And, well folks want to get lots of changes, but the change has to run
through the consensus process (back to mailing list input).

So to the import bit:

As I see it, there are two ways to get the note incorporated:

1. Write a draft that adds the note; this seems a bit heavy weight for what you
are trying to do.

2. Apply the note to the latest RFC/draft that obsoletes RFC 2633; I guess you
went for upstream, but generally the IETF applies changes to the
latest/greatest RFC/draft.  That obsoletes chain is: RFC 3851 obsoleted RFC
2633, RFC 3851 was obsoleted by RFC 5751, and draft-ietf-lamps-rfc5751-bis is
about to obsolete RFC 5751.  Luckily, draft-ietf-lamps-rfc5751-bis isn’t yet an
RFC so there’s an option to have the note added there.

Any objections to adding a note in draft-ietf-lamps-rfc5751-bis along the same
lines as the note for receipentKeyId?

spt
On May 14, 2017 6:38 PM, "Jim Schaad" <ietf(_at_)augustcellars(_dot_)com>