Re: compressed content-transfer-encoding?

1999-07-29 09:27:11
In message
<9907271056(_dot_)ZM3873(_at_)cbmail(_dot_)cb(_dot_)lucent(_dot_)com> on
07/27/99(23:56:14)
you "Mark Horton" <mark(_at_)lucent(_dot_)com> wrote:
 |It seems that a new MIME standard for content-transfer-encoding that
 |would indicate a compressed base64 type ala gzip could be nice.

I think the standard should satisfy followings:
 - Content-Type must indicate the type of the body properly (of course)
 - any combination of Content-Type and C-T-Encoding should be possible
 - any order of recursive (nested) C-T-Encodings should be applicable
Maybe I reinvented something rejected in past but I'm curious why using
message/rfc822 for nested encoding is not good.  For example, I think
we can send gziped text encoded in base64 like this:

    <base64-encoded-body>

where the <base64-encoded-body> is decoded into a MIME message like this:

    <gzip-encoded-body>

Cheers,
Yutaka
--