Re: SMTP Service Extension for Priority

2001-06-26 04:15:49

At 02:14 PM 6/25/01 -0400, Valdis(_dot_)Kletnieks(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu wrote:
On Sun, 24 Jun 2001 13:59:27 EDT, Dave Crocker said:
> This proposal appears to be directly competitive with Deliver-By (and, by
> derivation, the Timely Confirmation proposal.)

It's not *directly* competitive.

I may use Delivery-By: if it's time-critical ("Hey George, lunch at Blue River
Cafe at 12:30?") and can be discarded if the time constraint isn't met. In
this case, I don't care about order, I just care if *THIS* mail gets there
by a specific time or not.

Priority sorting is a different issue.

[...]

In what you say, and in what the main part of the referenced draft describes, I generally agree. But I notice that the draft also makes a (spurious?) reference to:

   o    Meeting certain service level agreements.

which, I think, falls more into the territory addressed by the timely delivery proposal, whose primary focus is achieving, as nearly as possible, some kind of deterministic performance from the senders PoV (which is, I think, a kind of meeting a service level agreement).

As it happens, I think the priority proposal would have a significant use in connection with the timely delivery proposal, namely to expedite delivery of a status response.

#g