SMTP QoS

2001-06-27 06:21:22

At 10:40 AM 6/26/2001, Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:
I venture to guess that people will drop max-priority mail because so much
of it is spam, just like people now drop mail from <>.

The proposal for a priority bit is an attempt to provide a degree of quality of service.

We have a 30+ year history that an inadequately specified "priority" field will go unused. Take a look at arpanet/internet level packet switching. The last 6 years of work on IPv6 shows that trying to provide useful QoS is quite difficult.

As noted by others, without the rest of the total system specification, the priority field will be mis-used by a variety of senders. This will guarantee that it be ignored by relays.

d/

Dave Crocker  <mailto:dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>
tel +1.408.246.8253;  fax +1.408.273.6464