Re: SMTP QoS

2001-06-29 06:54:40
On Fri, 29 Jun 2001 07:52:23 EDT, Dave Crocker <dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net>
said:

4.      The IETF does not do intranet standards.  This option looks quite
reasonable for use within a single administrative domain, where system-wide
handling policies can be established AND enforced.  For the global
Internet, the Force is very much against successful operation.

Ah.  A good point indeed.

Would you favor/suggest that this be re-cast as an option for message
posting?  That way, we'd at least have a standard way for MUAs on the
desktop to talk to the MTA on the mail hub. We've had pretty good sucess
at educating our users that "XYZ works only on campus" for many values
of XYZ, so this would not be a surprise to our users.

The specific application I'm thinking of is that there are a "very small"
(for a 60K mailbox environment) number of people that we'd *like* to be
able to *occasionally* submit mail at 'high priority' so it gets delivered
quickly.  However, we need a way to identify 'important' notices...
--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Operating Systems Analyst