Re: Last Call: SMTP Service Extension for Content Negotiation to Proposed Standard

2002-07-03 14:33:52

At 04:40 PM 7/3/2002 -0400, Robert A. Rosenberg wrote:
CONNEG appears at its root to be an attempt to avoid the "wasted" bandwidth and processing time/effort to create a M-P/A MIME message most of whose content the Recipient is going to ignore after receipt. It also removes the requirement that the Recipient is even capable of parsing a M-P/A MIME message to locate the "correct" version of FAX which it can understand/process.

Hmmm. As I recall, the specification was not developed with this goal in mind. However I think that you are pointing out a trade-off in the use of ESMTP/CONNECT and Multipart/Alternative that is largely correct.

(I say largely rather than completely because there are some feature combinations that define so many combinatorials, they could not be considered for M/A but are straightforward for CONNEG.)

Still, you do raise an interesting perspective.

d/

Dave Crocker <mailto:dave(_at_)tribalwise(_dot_)com>
TribalWise, Inc. <http://www.tribalwise.com>
tel +1.408.246.8253; fax +1.408.850.1850