Re: Last Call: SMTP Service Extension for Content Negotiation to Proposed Standard

2002-07-05 10:22:37

At 15:15 -0400 on 07/04/2002, Keith Moore wrote about Re: Last Call: SMTP Service Extension for Content Negot:

 IMO, the ultimate aim (even if this is not practical) is to deliver
 to each recipient the same version of the Fax as they would have
 received IF they were the only addressee

I think this is a reasonable and practical goal.  I don't think that
recipient A should experience a difference in message quality
(or worse, fail to receive the message at all) based on whether or
not you cc'ed recipient B.

 while at the same time
 generating only the minimum number of copies to allow
 multi-addressing.

I think this is an implementation decision.  It should be *possible*
to do this (and it is), but it shouldn't be required of implementations.

Bad phrasing on my part (I had intended the minimal message count to be a target not a cast-in-stone requirement). If you must degrade into one message per address mode - so be it - BUT I think that if you are going to do so, you are cheaping out by not trying to add some minimal logic to run the chain of pending copies to see if any can be satisfied by the current version. I'm not asking for a full matrix analysis (which is the "Best"/"Optimum" Method) - just take them in order of the addresses and run the pending chain. This will probably not create the minimal count (except by luck) but can still reduce the count somewhat.

here are a couple of trivial examples of the effect of a "downgrade to
LCD format" implementation strategy.

assume:

recipient A accepts only HTML and plain text
recipient B accepts only PDF and plain text

an HTML message sent only to A gets delivered as HTML, but if B is cc'ed
(or bcc'ed) on the message then both A and B get plain text (if the
client knows how to convert HTML to plain text).  A is accustomed
to receiving HTML from B and is surprised that there's an information
loss.

No - This is a standard M-P/A situation and should be sent to both as such (just as if the original message was generated by the MUA and packaged as M-P/A [which is the normal action of most of the MUAs I know unless the user has overridden the send both option).

more seriously, a PDF message sent only to B gets delivered as PDF, but
if A is cc'ed on the message then the message is bounced for both A and
B because there's no good way to downgrade PDF to a format acceptable
to B (or the client doesn't know how).

This is a more complex case. It would/could be solvable by a Smart MUA that acted the same as the HTML/Plain case by sending/creating as M-P/A with Text/Plain and application/PDF versions. The "Best" solution is if the MUA could also deliver a HTML copy (which would be packaged between the Text and the PDF in the stacking order).

Note: I am assuming a 2 stage MUA where the messages are created and queued for delivery and upon connect, the MUA can drop out (if it wants) unneeded alternatives (instead of doing the transforms in real time). I see no reason that the M-P/A creation (with optional deletion prior to transmit) could not be a viable alternative for real-time transforms (at least in the case where the number of different variations is limited/minimal such as in the above case or in the case of a Fax where you must convert Color to B&W and/or support 2 or 3 resolutions). I am working in a Blue Sky mode with these comments and I'm just tossing out a best functionality case which must/will be modified by implementation and real-world constraints.

So far I have not been able to identify conditions for which downgrading
to LCD is a viable implementation strategy.  My conclusion is that
implementations that support CONNEG and that attempt to deliver to
mutliple recipients in one transaction MUST be prepared to do RSET and
split up the delivery if it becomes evident that delivering the same
version of the message to all recipients is not appropriate.

Keith

Note: I am offering all of the above ideas/processing methods as suggestions for possible listings of ways to reach the goal of delivering the message to the recipient as if in a one-to-one mode while trying to minimize the overhead that is associated with one-to-one mode by leveraging the processing overhead of the message generation/uploading for additional addressees. As someone who has not been associated with the evolution of this effort I think my "new perspectives" can, at times, point out methodologies that might not be obvious those who have participated in its design. OTOH, I may be totally of base and my ideas may have already been raised and considered <g>.