Re: Keywords for "SMTP Service Extension for Content Negotiation"

2002-07-14 12:51:45

Private note since this is now entirely off topic...

I think this is a fine piece of theoretical analysis which unfortunately
has no
applicability to the real world. In the real world directory/database
systems
that let sites provide Internet-wide access to information about their
users do
not deploy.

I'm not sure why this is the case, and indeed I'm fairly sure that there is
no
good reason for it, but a vast tract of experience tells me it for-sure is
the
case. (Now is not the time to get into whys in more detail.)

I'll just add 2 words to the "why" and leave it at that:

"datamining" "spammers".

This is the opposite of an explanation, I'm afraid. Techniques for protecting
against datamining are well known and widely implemented. In fact it is almost
certainly easier to implement them in LDAP than in, say, a Web interface. Yet
the former is rarely done, the latter pretty common.

                                Ned