Re: port number for smtp over ssl

2003-01-16 08:40:11

ned+ietf-smtp,

In any case, the situation is what it is, and I do not think the
continued registration of POPS and IMAPS should not be taken as a
rationale for also registering SMTPS.

Hmmm. I focused so much on the existence of the practise that I probably
did not pursue a second point adequately:

   The views expressed on this list are directly in conflict with the
   views expressed among the ops community about blocking outbound port
   25 through firewalls.

This kills travellers. (And, no, simply using the "local" SMTP server is
not viable, primarily for reasons of trust, but also some concern for
reliability, given how differential ISP mail service is.)

At a minimum, there needs to be some dialogue between the ops community
and the email community to resolve this.

How should we proceed?

d/
--
 Dave <mailto:dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>
 t +1.408.246.8253; f +1.408.850.1850