Re: port number for smtp over ssl

2003-01-16 11:37:55

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 12:21:39 -0500
Valdis(_dot_)Kletnieks(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu wrote:

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 12:12:11 EST, Keith Moore said:

465 is intended for message submissions.  because it is a new port,
it's reasonable to require authentication.  and because authentication is
required it's far less likely to be used as a means of relaying mail from
unauthorized parties.  also, having a separate port for message submission
provides an opportunity to provide additional processing that is
appropriate at
message submission  (like rewriting message headers to add missing domains,
dates, etc., and/or rejecting messages which aren't perfectly formatted) but
not appropriate for mail relays.

And here I thought we already had 587 for that....

sorry, that's what I meant.  I hadn't had enough caffeine when I wrote that.

I don't think we should legitimize 465.