Re: BDAT, RFC 3030 protocol clarification?

2003-06-13 01:49:58

Keith Moore writes:
my understanding was that the client should not send BDAT commands unless it had received a 2xx response from MAIL and at least one of the RCPT commands.

Well, 1854 says sending DATA is okay, 3030 says BDAT and DATA are the same, and AFAIK nothing says that in this respect the two are different. IMO the successor to 3030 should say so.

failure to do so could cause synchronization problems if the server then said 5xx in response to BDAT because it wasn't going to accept the message anyway.

IMHO if a server is ignoring data in the TCP buffer when it claims to support PIPELINING, that server is broken and we shouldn't try to fix it in the spec. but if a server complains when a client sends BDAT for no valid recipients,
I don't blame the server for that.

I suggest that if a BDAT-capable server receives BDAT, it SHOULD either receive and discard the data, or else send its response and drop the connection. Shouldn't need saying, but I guess it does not hurt.

--Arnt