Re: FYI: BOF on Internationalized Email Addresses (IEA)

2003-10-28 03:11:57

Mark Crispin writes:
On Tue, 28 Oct 2003, Abhijit Menon-Sen wrote:
(I agree that it's currently nearly impossible to use computers if one isn't familiar with the Latin script, of course.)

Which probably makes the rest of this discussion academic, unless we're going to undertake solving *that* problem for Microsoft and the various UNIX/Linux vendors...

You're not appreciating the full complexity of the problem. ;)

Not only should the email standards permit MUAs and MTAs of the year 2020 to solve the problem Abhijit mentions, but they should even permit such future programs to interoperate with latinate ones of the present and near future. And if it's too hard for latinate MUAs to implement the IEA standard, that won't happen.

--Arnt