Re: FYI: BOF on Internationalized Email Addresses (IEA)

2003-10-29 16:41:49

I do not believe that this is true for Chinese.  AFAIK, Chinese primary
school kids use Latin script with hanyu-pinyin as a stopgap prior to their
mastery of Han script (which takes many years).

Nope. Hanyu Pinyin was designed to replace the Han ideograph but it never did.

Note that when I say "recognize Latin script", I mean the ability to
determine that "dog" is a three-letter word that has the letters "d", "o",
and "g", each of which the individual recognizes and can name.  This does
not include the ability to recognize that this refers to a domesticated
canine.

Based on your reasonings, I think we should all reverted back to numbers, because that is the only universal recongizable set of symbols we have.

We have this argument in IDN before and we certainly dont need this again. If you feel we should all stick to Latin, yes, you are entitled to your opinion but please do so in other place, and not here. The group is suppose to work on Internationalization of Email address (identifiers), not debate whether we need it or not.

-James Seng