Re: MyDoom, Sorbig - Actions taken?

2004-02-04 23:42:48
On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 01:29:37 EST, Hector Santos said:

Rather to being so condescending, why don't you explain how layering when
adhered by the MUA will solve the problem of abusive transportation of
viruses.   You are bent of this being an USER/MUA problem maybe that's
because you are currently focus on "User needs."   Well,  I disagree.  You
still have not address the question when MIME is not used for attachment
transportation via SMTP.

First off, the 'begin 644 foo.tar' went out of style a decade ago.

Secondly, even when it was in use, there were MUAs that would automatically
extract a uuencode - but none that I know of was ever silly enough to
extract-and-run.

And you know what?  If the MUAs aren't supporting extract-and-run,
either MIME, or UUENCODE, or even encoded as a Lisp S-expr, then it
*doesn't matter* what the SMTP layer is doing.

When you realize that tire problems have to be fixed *at the tire*,
then maybe you'll be able to contribute.