Submission and SMTP SRV records

2004-03-16 14:54:52

Is anyone implementing SRV records for either SMTP or for Submission (i.e., SMTP SUBMIT extension)? Some talk about implementation raised some questions:

- SRV is pretty redundant with MX for SMTP, though you could conceivably use SRV to specify an alternate port number. Has anyone attempted this?

- SRV for submission is an interesting way for an client to figure out which server/port it should contact, but what exactly would the query look like? Should you take the right hand side of your e-mail address and query, taking me as an example, _submission._tcp.qualcomm.com? Should you be looking up _submission._tcp.4.3.2.1.in-addr.arpa (assuming your own IP address is 1.2.3.4)? And again, has anyone tried any of this?

It would be nice if we had a convention for such a lookup.

pr
--
Pete Resnick <http://www.qualcomm.com/~presnick/>
QUALCOMM Incorporated - Direct phone: (858)651-4478, Fax: (858)651-1102