draft-duan-smtp-receiver-driven-00.txt

2005-05-05 15:51:57
We'd like to solicit feedback from the SMTP community on
our recent IETF draft titled "Receiver-Driven Extensions to SMTP".

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-duan-smtp-receiver-driven-00.txt

The abstract of the draft is attached below.

As we are new to the IETF process, we welcome any suggestions
pointing out potential improvements as well as deficiencies in the draft.

The following DiffMail project website and our related paper in SRUTI'05
might also be of interest.

http://www.cs.fsu.edu/~duan/projects/diffmail/diffmail.htm

Thanks,
Zhenhai Duan, Kartik Gopalan, Yingfei Dong

Abstract:

The Differentiated Mail Transfer Protocol (DMTP) provides simple
extensions to the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) that
enable receivers to exercise greater control over the email delivery
process. The current SMTP-based email delivery architecture is
fundamentally sender-driven and distinctly lacks receiver control over
the message delivery mechanism. This document describes DMTP
that enables receivers to classify senders into three categories -- allowed,

denied, and unclassified -- and process the delivery of messages
from each category independently. As is the current practice, receivers
may directly accept messages from senders in the allowed
category and decline senders in the denied category. In addition,
DMTP receivers require senders in the unclassified category to
store messages on the senders' own mail servers. Such messages
are retrieved only if and when the end receivers wish to do so.
By granting greater control over message delivery to receivers and
imposing greater message storage and maintenance overhead on
senders, DMTP provides significant advantages in controlling spam.
DMTP also easily operates in conjunction with (but does not require)
many currently deployed anti-spam techniques.