Re: Who will lead the fight for email authentication

2005-05-17 15:42:35
On Tue, 17 May 2005 15:02:13 PDT, David MacQuigg said:

I'm sure you can think of a solution to this problem.  Hint: You have to
want a solution.

Important correction: I have to want a solution more than I want to avoid
giving control of the solution to whoever gets control.

And I'm not the only paranoid around - a reading of RFC2826 will show that they
were *very* careful to distinguish between "the DNS root must be singular" and
any statement of who should actually control it.

Looks like the two most likely leaders are the FTC and Microsoft.  I don't
see the IETF stepping up to the plate.  The FTC will give us a technically
clumsy, not very effective, and legally burdensome solution.

There's a lot of places the FTC doesn't have jurisdiction.  In fact, there's
a lot of things *inside* the US it doesn't get to regulate, because the commerce
involved doesn't cross state lines....