Re: Terminology: Administrative <Email-Admin>

2005-11-14 12:43:28

On Nov 14, 2005, at 10:49 AM, Dave Crocker wrote:

Folks,

The current draft refers to a collectively-managed set of email components
as distinct from some other, independent collectively-managed set of
components -- as an Administrative Unit (AU). Examples might be a personal MTA, as one AU, an email hosting service as another, an integrated service
(AOL, Yahoo, MSN, etc) as another, and so on.
We need *some* term, so that such references as "boundary MTA" can be
meaningful -- what is it the boundary of?

I am still searching for a term that folks will be willing to use. The various ones I've suggested have not resonated with folks.

Last week, I was told to see whether an acronym might do better. Here is my first candidate, with an eager request for anything better that folks like:

     Common Operating Group (COG)

     A COG is a collection of Internet Mail components
     subject to a single set of administrative operations
     policies.

Comments?

You wish to avoid the term domain. There are terms used like System Administrator (Sys-Admin), or Network Administrator (Net-Admin), or Database Administrator (DBA). Email Administrator (Email-Admin), rather than Administrative-Unit (AU) would follow this vein. An administrative boundary would occur where systems are under a different Email-Admin. Systems would be under the same Email-Admin rather than within the same AU. Without a dictionary of terms, this Email-Admin term can still be understood. COG would seem to be as confusing as AU.

-Doug