Re: line lengths for AUTH

2006-12-12 10:47:14

Robert A. Rosenberg wrote:

At 17:08 +0000 on 12/07/2006, Alexey Melnikov wrote about Re: line lengths for AUTH:

But I guess the document can specify an absolute minimum and allow implementations to support bigger line lengths.

How about defining a 220 Keyword to designate/supply the length that the SMTP Server is willing to accept?

I can add a new EHLO keyword (which would be "SHOULD be advertised by SMTP servers"), if people think this is important.

I personally think this is not important enough and would make writing client implementations more difficult.

An alternative would be to add a new enhanced response code for "authentication exchange line is too long" case.

Opinions?