Re: RFC2821bis-01 Issue 4: Client actions on receipt of 4yz and 5yz codes

2007-03-29 05:53:43

--On Thursday, 29 March, 2007 07:19 -0400 Hector Santos
<hsantos(_at_)santronics(_dot_)com> wrote:

John C Klensin wrote:
In RFC 2821bis-01, Section 4.2.1 (Reply Code Severities and
Theory), in the description of the generic 4yz category,
Question: Should the 5yz description  be changed to use
"SHOULD NOT".   If not, is "SHOULD" in the 4yz description
reasonable?

In my view, removing the subjective considerations and
focusing on what is the technical automated state machine
consideration helps.

For 4yz, I think SHOULD is ok, but I think MAY is better when
reworded more appropriately. SHOULD implies some enforcement,
when in fact, the is not required to do so.

I don't see a requirement for enforcement in either the 2821
definition of "SHOULD" or in the 2119 definition.  Where do you
get this?

Just trying to clarify your suggestion, which seems based on
this assertion.