Re: RFC2821bis-01 Issue 4: Client actions on receipt of 4yz and 5yz codes

2007-03-28 19:25:07

As yet, there has been no discussion on this issue.

Any comments?

        Tony Hansen
        tony(_at_)att(_dot_)com

John C Klensin wrote:

In RFC 2821bis-01, Section 4.2.1 (Reply Code Severities and Theory), in
the description of the generic 4yz category, described the desired
action in terms of what the client "is encouraged to" do.  I was
persuaded in an off-list exchange that this can reasonably be changed to
"SHOULD" and -01 reflects that change.   For 5yz, there was a similar
construction that indicates that the client "is discouraged from"
repeating the request.  I was less confident about changing that to
"SHOULD NOT", so the "is discouraged" text remains in -01.

Question: Should the 5yz description  be changed to use "SHOULD NOT".
If not, is "SHOULD" in the 4yz description reasonable?