Re: rfc2821bis-03 Issue 32: "MUST take responsibility"

2007-04-26 07:29:46

John C Klensin wrote:

      In either case, a formal handoff of responsibility for
      the message occurs: the protocol requires that a server
      MUST accept responsibility for either delivering a
      message or properly reporting the failure to do so.

I think this is a simple rewording of a clear statement.

The only unclear thing to me is:

"...properly reporting the failure to do so."

Does everyone understand this to mean reporting the failure
to the sender (in the case of a non-null Return-Path) or to
some administrator (in the case of a null Return-Path)?  If everyone
clearly understands it this way, then it's fine.  Otherwise, we may
want to spell it out.  Otherwise, someone might consider dropping
an e-mail and letting an administrator know about it to be
"properly reporting the failure".

How about:

        In either case, a formal handoff of responsibility for
        the message occurs: the protocol requires that a server
        MUST accept responsibility for either delivering a
        message or properly reporting the failure to do so.
        A proper failure report MUST consist of a notification to the
        sender of the message if the original message has a non-null
        return-path, or a notification to an administrator of the
        SMTP server if the message has a null return-path.

Or am I worrying too much? :-)

Regards,

David.