rfc2821bis-03 Issue 32: "MUST take responsibility"

2007-04-26 06:50:56

As part of the issue 16 cleanup (changing informal statements
about requirements to more formal, 2119-like, language), the
critical text about receiver responsibility for messages they
accepted was changed from

RFC 2821:

(from just below the figure)
        The responsibility of an SMTP client is to transfer mail
        messages to one or more SMTP servers, or report its
        failure to do so.

(mid-section)
        In either case, a formal handoff of responsibility for
        the message occurs: the protocol requires that a server
        accept responsibility for either delivering a message or
        properly reporting the failure to do so.

2821bis-03:

        The responsibility of an SMTP client is to transfer mail
        messages to one or more SMTP servers, or report its
        failure to do so.

        In either case, a formal handoff of responsibility for
        the message occurs: the protocol requires that a server
        MUST accept responsibility for either delivering a
        message or properly reporting the failure to do so.

I think this is a simple rewording of a clear statement.  If
people believe otherwise, the text should probably just be
reverted (unless more drastic changes are implemented as the
result of issue 25 (seriously restricting NDN messages.  I think
the apparent (but IMO not actual) redundancy between the
relevant two sentences is helpful, but would appreciate comments
on that subject if anyone disagrees.

       john