Re: rfc2821bis-03: Issue 31: Retain new FTP comparison text in 4.2.1

2007-04-26 06:53:22

On Thursday, April 26, 2007 at 1:20:12 PM, John C Klensin wrote:
rfc2821bis-03 adds new text to explicitly compare SMTP's reply
code model to that of FTP in the hope of eliminating any
possible residual confusion about issues 18 and 28.  Should that
text be retained, dropped, or modified in some way?

Please accept a comment from a lurker: I would find the references to FTP
confusing and unhelpful.

They might have been 'helpful' when SMTP was a novelty and FTP
well-established, aiding those who were presumed to already understand FTP, but
today I see no value in the comparison. Any up-to-date definition of the reply
code model should be complete and self-sufficient.

Chris Haynes