Re: rfc2821bis-03: Issue 31: Retain new FTP comparison text in 4.2.1

2007-04-27 07:12:20

--On Friday, 27 April, 2007 09:08 +0100 Alexey Melnikov
<alexey(_dot_)melnikov(_at_)isode(_dot_)com> wrote:

John C Klensin wrote:

rfc2821bis-03 adds new text to explicitly compare SMTP's reply
code model to that of FTP in the hope of eliminating any
possible residual confusion about issues 18 and 28.  Should
that text be retained, dropped, or modified in some way?

I was originally planning to propose to remove any comparison
with FTP, possibly creating another draft (Chris Newman wrote
one in 1998) that would compare reply codes from different
protocols. However after checking -03, I only found the
following paragraph:

   It is worth noting that the file transfer protocol (FTP
[35]) uses a
   very similar code architecture and that the SMTP codes are
based on
   the FTP model.  However, SMTP uses a one-command,
one-response model,
   while FTP is asynchronous and the 1yz codes are not part of
the SMTP
   model.

I think this is a reasonable text and it is small. I think it
should be kept as is.

Thanks.  The main argument for this from my perspective is that
someone comparing the 2821 and 2821bis text is going to wonder
where the 1yz text went if we didn't say something.  This seemed
to me to be about the minimum we could stay that would not be
tied to the particulars of the recent discussions.

Apologies to those who reacted to this issue based on their
guesses about what the text might say without actually looking
at it.

      john