Re: Retries - may be related to closed issue 12 4yz behavior

2007-05-01 01:06:33

Hi Hector,
At 01:34 30-04-2007, Hector Santos wrote:
I would like to hear comments on the idea of retries using the same ENV information, in particular the same reverse-path?

The reverse-path on a retry may be different.

I think the above has an implied consideration that suggest when the server issues the 4yz response, the error is only temporary and thus the client may issue the request again with the idea the parameters are the same.

The client did retry again to deliver the message.

Why do I bring this up?

Well, I seen a SMTP client from Google that is getting greylisted with a 451 error but it is retrying (in new sessions) with a different MAIL FROM (reverse-path).

You may see the same behavior with SMTP clients using VERP.

In the case of Google, today, I was helping my wife set up a blog at Google's blogger.com and it was doing an email verification. It wasn't coming in so I checked the logs.

There was a time when email was a collaborative effort where we do our best to deliver the mail. Nowadays it's more about whether the message is more important to the sender or the receiver. In the above case, the receiver may place more value upon the message and the receiving end may have to customize the site policy accordingly.

I believe many Greylist implementations simply reject at the RCPT TO, and do not collect the body.

Yes.

Greylisted or not, if a server is temporarily rejecting an email transaction for typical normal (4yz) reasons as indicated in the example reply codes, I believer server implementations is basing this idea that the retry attempts will be made again with the same information.

No, it's greylisting which is based on that idea and not the SMTP implementation.

Regards,
-sm