Re: Retries - may be related to closed issue 12 4yz behavior

2007-05-01 03:46:04
On 2007-05-01 04:39:38 -0400, Hector Santos wrote:
SM wrote:
Greylisted or not, if a server is temporarily rejecting an email
transaction for typical normal (4yz) reasons as indicated in the
example reply codes, I believer server implementations is basing this
idea that the retry attempts will be made again with the same
information.

No, it's greylisting which is based on that idea and not the SMTP
implementation.

Well, I will argue that the successful growth of greylisting systems is
based on the fundamental SMTP 4yz retry principles. It that wasn't the
case, greylisting would not be a consideration.

I accept the idea that the client may not reissue the same ENV
information, but that is by far *not* the normal practice in retry
logics.   Google would be the first that I know of,

Yahoo Groups did this 3 years ago. As far as I can tell they have
changed their practice (I can only speculate that the growing popularity
of greylisting caused too many failures).

        hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | I know I'd be respectful of a pirate
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR       | with an emu on his shoulder.