Consensus call: draft-crocker-email-arch -- envelope vs. trace vs. ...?

2007-05-14 22:35:46

Folks,

I'm coming to believe that any attempt to have the word "envelope" refer to more than the SMTP Envelope is doomed. Anyone feeling otherwise is strongly encouraged to speak up.

That leaves the choice of terms for this non-SMTP handling information.

I think that "Extended Envelope" and "Trace Information" are both entirely reasonable. On reflection, I'm inclined towards the latter, but would like folks to comment.

Here's my logic: A term that differs from another core term only by having an added qualify probably invites misunderstanding, even if we say the "SMTP Envelope" is a subset of "Extended Envelope".

"Trace Information" has two advantages: 1) it is an entirely different term, and b) it accurately describes the core set of information... Or does it? Is there anything that one would include in this set, other than Received and Return-Path? Does this additional information make the term "trace" inappropriate?

If anyone wants a term other than trace information, please speak up.

d/

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking