Re: Criteria for "interoperability" for email-arch

2007-05-21 11:15:16

On May 15, 2007, at 12:22 PM, ned+ietf-smtp(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com wrote:

I went so far to recommend more or less this approach for the ABNF
specification and even went so far as to generate a list of references and uses of each of ABNF's "features". This was in effect rejected by the IESG, however,
in favor of documenting the existance of at least two ABNF validators.

That wasn't so much rejected as it just happened that I felt like fooling around with ABNF validators. I learned a lot while doing it and once done, writing the interop report went quickly. I admit this was probably not my highest priority thing to do at the time but it was fun.

I thought this was a poor decision at the time and still do. IMO what matters about ABNF - and by extension any other document that provides definitional tools for other specifications - is whether or not it is actually used by mulitplle specifications to achieve bettter specification clarity and therefore increase the chance of creating interoperable implementations. Whether or not there happens to be a way to backstop the use of such a document with a
validation tool strikes me as largely irrelevant.

Not really sure why you think it was a poor decision. I also told other ADs my strong opinion that the real reason to move ABNF to Internet Standard was that we use it all the time and it works for us so "duh".

Lisa