Re: draft-klensin-rfc2821bis-04: VRFY and EXPN syntax

2007-07-19 13:23:44
On 2007-07-15 15:08:05 -0400, John C Klensin wrote:
That said, I could see doing something else if there was general
consensus that it would be worthwhile.  Partially because of the
circumlocutions and security consideration issues, there is a
lot of text about VRFY and EXPN in 2821bis.  I may regret saying
this but, without looking at the spec, I think I could separate
that material out into a separate document called "SMTP VRFY and
EXPN Commands" or words to that effect.

I may have overlooked something, but AFAICS the descriptions of VRFY and
EXPN take about 5 pages out of 95. We would need to keep a page or so
for the syntax and basic functionality description, so we save about 4 %
of the total length at the risk of introducing inconsistencies between
the basics in 2821bis and the details in the separate RFC. Doesn't seem
worthwhile to me.

        hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | I know I'd be respectful of a pirate
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR       | with an emu on his shoulder.