Re: draft-klensin-rfc2821bis-04: VRFY and EXPN syntax

2007-07-19 13:56:52

--On Thursday, 19 July, 2007 22:12 +0200 "Peter J. Holzer"
<hjp-ietf-smtp(_at_)hjp(_dot_)at> wrote:

On 2007-07-15 15:08:05 -0400, John C Klensin wrote:
That said, I could see doing something else if there was
general  consensus that it would be worthwhile.  Partially
because of the  circumlocutions and security consideration
issues, there is a  lot of text about VRFY and EXPN in
2821bis.  I may regret saying  this but, without looking at
the spec, I think I could separate  that material out into a
separate document called "SMTP VRFY and  EXPN Commands" or
words to that effect.

I may have overlooked something, but AFAICS the descriptions
of VRFY and EXPN take about 5 pages out of 95. We would need
to keep a page or so for the syntax and basic functionality
description, so we save about 4 % of the total length at the
risk of introducing inconsistencies between the basics in
2821bis and the details in the separate RFC. Doesn't seem
worthwhile to me.

I agree, but, given where the discussion seemed to be headed at
that point, felt obligated to mention the option.

     john