Re: draft-klensin-rfc2821bis-04: VRFY and EXPN syntax

2007-07-16 22:30:08

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007, Robert A. Rosenberg wrote:
At 15:08 -0400 on 07/15/2007, John C Klensin wrote about Re: draft-klensin-rfc2821bis-04: VRFY and EXPN syntax:

Partially because of the circumlocutions and security consideration issues, there is a lot of text about VRFY and EXPN in 2821bis.

If I may put in my 2 cents, I'd like to hopefully see some comments about the security issues in using VRFY and EXPN in the security section (if they are not already there) as well

Didn't believe John when he said "a lot of text", eh? Your worries should have been assuaged by a glance a the table of contents of draft-klensin-rfc2821bis-04.txt:

   7.  Security Considerations  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 76
     7.1.  Mail Security and Spoofing . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 76
     7.2.  "Blind" Copies . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 77
     7.3.  VRFY, EXPN, and Security . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 78

as an EXPLICATE MUST that the EHLO reply ONLY list them if they have not been turned off (IOW: If you are going to reject them or send a "Send Me A massage" reply to an attempt to VRFY then do not advertise support for them in the first place).

I disagree.

Can you give some reason for treating the EXPN and VRFY service extensions any differently than other extensions?

Can you give some justification for specifying "MUST NOT list unless supported" instead of SHOULD NOT? What critical interoperability problems occur when that isn't followed? Given that there are legitimate reasons for a VRFY or EXPN to fail even when it is supported, or perhaps to fail for some but not all arguments, I fail to see the benefit of attempting to tighten this requirement.

Philip Guenther