MX to CNAME and (mis)interptretation of 2821

2007-12-12 15:57:11
I'm currently at odds with a few folks regarding the interpretation of
RFC 2821 and the case of MX records that resolve to CNAMEs. I'm hoping
that those here, who are authoritative when it comes to this RFC, can
shed some light.

Take the following case:

% nslookup -q=mx fleetpride.com

Non-authoritative answer:

fleetpride.com  mail exchanger = 10 in.sjc.mx.trendmicro.com.

fleetpride.com  mail exchanger = 20 mx-in01.mail-abuse.org.

fleetpride.com  mail exchanger = 20 mx-in02.mail-abuse.org.

fleetpride.com  mail exchanger = 20 mx-in03.mail-abuse.org.

fleetpride.com  nameserver = ns1-auth.sprintlink.net.

fleetpride.com  nameserver = ns2-auth.sprintlink.net.

fleetpride.com  nameserver = ns3-auth.sprintlink.net.

ns1-auth.sprintlink.net internet address = 206.228.179.10

ns2-auth.sprintlink.net internet address = 144.228.254.10

ns3-auth.sprintlink.net internet address = 144.228.255.10

% nslookup in.sjc.mx.trendmicro.com.

Non-authoritative answer:

in.sjc.mx.trendmicro.com        canonical name =
in.mx.trendmicro-fail-over.akadns.net.

Name:   in.mx.trendmicro-fail-over.akadns.net

Address: 216.99.131.15

Name:   in.mx.trendmicro-fail-over.akadns.net

Address: 216.99.131.16

Name:   in.mx.trendmicro-fail-over.akadns.net

Address: 216.99.131.1

Name:   in.mx.trendmicro-fail-over.akadns.net

Address: 216.99.131.2

Name:   in.mx.trendmicro-fail-over.akadns.net

Address: 216.99.131.3

Name:   in.mx.trendmicro-fail-over.akadns.net

Address: 216.99.131.4

Name:   in.mx.trendmicro-fail-over.akadns.net

Address: 216.99.131.13

Name:   in.mx.trendmicro-fail-over.akadns.net

Address: 216.99.131.14

According to RFC 2181, this is invalid. You cannot have an MX record
that resolves to a CNAME.

However, in talking to TrendMicro, they say that this syntax is
perfectly valid and that RFC 2821 overrides the MX to CNAME limitation.
The following website is their stance on this:
http://esupport.trendmicro.com/support/viewxml.do?ContentID=EN-1035667&i
d=EN-1035667

However, in talking to others, they say that TrendMicro is
misinterpreting the RFC. I'll admit after reading 2821, I could
interpret things both ways.

This is why I come to you folks who are responsible for this RFC. Who is
right? Is MX -> CNAME now allowed by 2821, or is TrendMicro in the
wrong?

Would it also be possible to state directly within the next revision of
the RFC where or not this RFC overrides the provision 10.3 of RFC 2181.
I don't want to leave things left to misinterpretation.

--

Trevor Paquette

Director, Information Technology and Systems

TeraGo Networks Inc.

300, 300 Manning Road NE

Calgary, Ab T2E 8K4

http://www.terago.ca <http://www.terago.ca/>