Re: The "such responses" extension sentence (was: Re: MX to CNAME and (mis)interpretation of 2821)

2008-02-25 10:24:34

SM wrote:
   When a domain name associated with an MX RR is looked up and
   the associated data field obtained, the data field of that
   response MUST contain a fully-qualified domain name.  That
   fully-qualified domain name, when queried, MUST return at
   least one address record (e.g., A or AAAA RR) that gives the
   IP address of the SMTP server to which the message should
   be directed.  Any other response,  specifically including a
   value that will return a CNAME record when queried, lies
   outside the scope of this standard.  The prohibition on CNAME
   RRs is discussed in more detail in RFC 2181, Section 10.3 [29].

That looks like a good compromise to me.
I'd remove the word 'specifically', it makes me read the statement
more than once to be sure of its meaning, and is probably redundant.

  Mark