Re: Defaulting to no mail for IPv6-only hosts

2008-03-31 10:03:53

At 01:48 31-03-2008, Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:

I fine-tuned the subject field ;)

I fine-tuned the recipient list. :-)

But the hostnames I see _are_ fully qualified. Don't you have messages like this?

    From: "Something R. Other" <something(_at_)example(_dot_)com>
    Sender: something(_at_)foo(_dot_)example(_dot_)com

I have tens of thousands of messages where the From field's domain is a strict postfix of the Sender field's domain. I don't know how to estimate how many of the Sender addresses are deliverable, but it's few enough that I consider them all untrustworthy and don't use them.

To avoid any confusion, note that my comment relates to the Sender: address in this example being used in the RFC 2821 mail.from.

I've seen such messages. One of the problems here is that the sender may not be aware that the DSN goes to something(_at_)foo(_dot_)example(_dot_)com(_dot_) If there's an MX RR for foo.example.com, then there's a presumption that the administrator is aware that there should be a SMTP service there. As the editor of RFC 2821bis pointed out, it forces people to think.

Regards,
-sm