Re: Scope Creep

2008-04-01 12:19:22

John Leslie wrote:
   I'm happy to call it "registration" too. I think this should tend
to get us thinking about the right thing. How should the intent to
receive email for a domain be signaled?

The current model permits no email-specific registration, in order to operate a mail-receiving service. Anything that eliminates use of an A/AAAA record changes this basic flexibility.

So the requirement "How should the intent to
> receive email for a domain be signaled?" is, in fact, a very basic change to the core Internet mail service model.

In a clean-slate exercise, there are good reasons to consider imposing that requirement. In a world with decades of momentum for administering and operating email a certain way, changing the registration model warrants separate, careful, and extended consideration.

It is a topic thoroughly worthy of that consideration.

However, trying to squeeze that effort into the RFC2821bis process is a good way to kill both.

d/
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking