Re: History of fallback to A

2008-04-02 16:07:10

I think the above provides quite some insight into
specifications
regarding the MX record, so I took the liberty of copying it in
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MX_record#History_of_fallback_to_A

be a little careful because, for several reasons of which only a few were related to their being a bad idea, MD and MF were never really used on large scale. See Dave's note about the actual deployment realities -- my recollection is that MX was used as an inter-network gateway mechanism somewhat earlier than his not would indicate, but, for on-Internet relay purposes, MXs were essentially useless (and hence little used) until the DNS was widely deployed and widely used.

in particular, several OS vendors were distributing versions of sendmail through the early 1990s at least that DID NOT implement MX lookup

Keith